The Tourville Center for Strength, Conditioning, and Rehabilitation is Now Open!
Thanks to the generosity of many donors and the vision of Heathwood Head of School Chris Hinchey, Athletics Director Jeff Whalen, and our athletics coaches and trainers, Heathwood student athletes can now train in a state-of-the-art new strength and conditioning center.
The Tourville Center for Strength, Conditioning, and Rehabilitation, named in honor of lead donors Mike and Summer Tourville, was officially opened for use by Heathwood athletes and PE students at a ribbon-cutting ceremony on August 30, 2016.
Featuring a spacious weight room, an aerobic equipment room, remodeled coaches’ offices, and ample space for training and rehabilitation, the Tourville Center was made possible through generous gifts of time and talent from alumna and architect Asheley Scott (’98) and alumnus, parent, and construction manager Davis Buchanan (’86), and by a major gift from the Highlander Club, which is paying for all the new weight and aerobic equipment. Significant donations also came from Mary and Clinch Belser, Maryanne and Freeman Belser, Missy and Davis Buchanan, Denise Davis, Will Gilfillan, Kim and Rick McGill, Jill and Rick Migliore, Margaret and Hugh Willcox, and two anonymous members of the Heathwood community.
“These new facilities will help Heathwood students perform at the highest levels, both as teams and as individuals,” said Chris Hinchey.
The Tourville Center will transform Heathwood Hall athletics in all these ways and more:
- Providing a vastly improved facility for the training and rehabilitation of our hundreds of interscholastic athletes in grades 5-12
- Offering greater access to strength training for physical education classes in grades 1-12
- Improving access to light aerobic rehabilitation and greater access for athletic trainers to resistance training rehabilitation and recovery
- Offering coaches and teams more access to resistance and aerobic training and rehabilitation
- Improving office facilities for coaches to enhance intra-athletic/PEcommunication and provide locations for hosting prospective student athletes and families
- Upgrading restroom facilities in the gymnasium
- Providing an enhanced strength training and rehabilitation center that supports a life-long commitment to and understanding of the benefits of aerobic and resistance training
- Promoting healthy life choices for all members of the Heathwood community, including students, parents, and alumni