Middle School Career Day
Around 20 guests will be on campus to speak to our MS students about their educational backgrounds, career paths, passions, and talents that led them to where they are today. Each student will have the opportunity to hear from four different speakers. As they participate in each speaker session, students will be asked to complete a written “Career Day Journal” in which they will reflect on what they’ve learned from the various speakers, and this journal will count as a homework grade in each core academic class.
- 8:30-8:45: Speakers arrive
- 9:00-9:25: Session 1
- 9:30-9:55: Session 2
- 10:00-10:25: Break (Students will exit the building to eat snacks outside, and speakers can remain inside where coffee, water, and breakfast sandwiches from Carolina Cafe and snacks will be provided.)
- 10:30-10:55: Session 3
- 11:00-11:25: Session 4
- 11:30: Break, Wash Hands
- 11:40-12:30: Lunch/Recess
- 12:45-1:30: Keynote speaker: Mr. Fran Halloran to address all MS students (Auditorium)
- 1:30-1:55: Outside Break
- 2:00-3:00: Class Specific Sessions:
Mrs. Mary Kay Deese, Heathwood Hall College Counselor, will address College Readiness and ways that 8th grade students can begin to prepare for their Upper School experience and life after graduation. Some of the topics that Mrs. Deese will cover will include researching colleges, transcripts, college athletics, and the impacts of social media on college acceptance.
Students will report back to their Advisory groups and choose from a menu of career-related activities, such as: Career Inventories and Surveys, Mock college/job interviews, creating “one-pagers,” videos, or infographics about a career of their choice.