Creating a unique learning environment like Heathwood's takes considerable investment. Like all strong independent schools, Heathwood cannot make this investment alone.
Because you give to the annual fund, the value of a Heathwood education significantly transcends what our families pay for that education.
Participation by all community members is essential. Every gift of any size makes a difference in students' lives. In fact, Heathwood's participation numbers are a key indicator of the health of the school. High participation is a vote of confidence to members of the Heathwood community, a vote of confidence to foundations, prospective families, and job candidates. It also increases the likelihood of raising more money from grants and corporate gifts.
As participation is our primary goal, no amount is too small.
Making a Difference
Here are some of the ways the Annual Fund has supported the school recently:
Early Childhood and Lower School
- Renovation and Expansion of the Early Childhood and Lower School Art Studio
- New tables and chairs replaced desks in Lower School to better facilitate collaborative
- Support to expand the one-to-one iPad program to include 1st and 2nd grade students
- Professional development day for Lower School lead and associate teachers on Next Steps in Guided Reading
- New furniture and upgrades for Science Labs updates
- Renovation of the Middle School lobby including the addition of five tutoring spaces for the Academic Achievement Center, a multiuse conference room, and open reception area
- The Social Institute, a gamified curriculum that uses a relative and positive approach to empower students to navigate their social world in a positive way
- Three new science lab classrooms and a new humanities classroom
- Addition of a college counselling suite to better accommodate students and their families as well as college representatives from visiting universities
- Professional development for faculty to gain recognition as Google and Mac Educators
- Classroom technology including high quality digital displays to replace SMART boards or add a second interactive screen in classrooms for use as a teaching tool
- A new sound system in the Athletic Center
- Additional school bus for student transportation, school trips and travel to athletic events
For more information about Annual Giving at Heathwood Hall, contact Erin Pope at 803-231-7717 or email@example.com.
Download the Honor Roll of Giving in our Annual Report [PDF]
- Is 100% participation really that important?
Yes! High participation in the Annual Fund helps Heathwood meet overall financial goals. Regardless of the amount of the gift, your contribution to the Annual Fund makes a powerful statement to foundations and outside donors who view participation from the school community as one measure of Heathwood’s overall strength. When parents make a gift to the Annual Fund, they demonstrate trust and loyalty to the school.
- Is it worth it to give a small gift?
Yes! Gifts of $100 or less to last year’s Annual Fund totaled more than $21,000. The only gift that is too small is no gift at all.
- What is the 1951 Society?
Even as we welcome every gift in any amount, we depend on leadership gifts to play a vital role in Annual Fund growth. The 1951 Society, named in honor of the year Heathwood Hall was founded, recognizes the commitment of donors who contribute $1,951 or more to the Annual Fund during the fiscal year.
- How do I make a donation?
Giving is easy. Click the buttons below to donate online with a credit card, or mail a check marked Annual Fund to Heathwood Hall, 3000 S Beltline Boulevard, Columbia, SC, 29201. You are welcome to drop your check off with the school receptionist or Erin Pope in the Development Office.
Be sure to ask your employer about corporate matching gifts; you could double the impact of your gift! If your contribution is matched, you will be recognized for the value of your gift plus any match. Parents can also consider a transfer of securities - gifts of stock, real estate and other personal property may net an income tax deduction for full fair market value.
- Why do I have to give when I pay tuition?
Like all independent schools, at Heathwood there is a gap between tuition and what it actually costs to educate each student. The school relies on the Annual Fund, income from our endowment, and other contributions to sustain the level of educational excellence our families expect from us. Gifts to the Annual Fund facilitate accessibility, enabling Heathwood to attract the best faculty, and support a diverse and talented student population.
Augmenting tuition through charitable gifts helps keep tuition at a competitive rate. Furthermore, it allows contributors to take advantage of valuable tax deductions they would not otherwise realize if the gap were simply included as a part of our annual tuition. Plus, if tuition were simply raised to cover this cost, the burden of higher tuition would fully impact current parents. Instead, current parents, past parents, alumni, grandparents, and friends all contribute to bridge the gap.
- How are gifts to the Annual Fund used?
The Annual Fund supports all aspects of Heathwood Hall.
Heathwood’s signature academic programs, coupled with our student-centric approach across every division, create a learning process and environment that is both dynamic and collaborative.
Our immersive educational experience brings lessons to life through hands-on learning inside our gates and in the world far beyond. Students learn actively and gain astute self-awareness and confidence in the process.
Thoughtful integration of state-of–the art technology complemented by professional development, enhances teaching and deepens learning at every grade level.
Physical education and organized athletics offer important opportunities to teach fitness, teamwork, self-discipline and individual excellence, promoting for each student a healthy mind, body and spirit.
Through opportunities in visual arts, drama, instrumental music and chorus, woven into the fabric of the academic curriculum, students from age 3 to 12th grade explore and discover their own creative gifts, the arts enhancing their learning and their lives.
For reference, donors are classified into two groups - 1951 Society and Friends of Heathwood - based on the total amount donated during Heathwood's fiscal year (July-June). The 1951 Society recognizes leaders in philanthropy towards Heathwood. All gifts make an impact and are genuinely appreciated. No amount is too small.
Named in honor of the year of Heathwood's founding, the 1951 Society recognizes leaders in philanthropy for the school. We invite you to learn more and consider joining.
- Founder’s Circle ($10,000 and above)
- Headmaster’s Circle ($5,000-$9,999)
- Tartan Circle ($2,500-$4,999)
- Highlander Circle ($1,951-$2,499)
Friends of Heathwood
- Benefactor ($1,000-$1,950)
- Investor ($500-$999)
- Patron (up to $499)